ch102
02-22 08:43 AM
Over 500 Indian guest workers sue US company for human trafficking - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri/news/Over-500-Indian-guest-workers-sue-US-company-for-human-trafficking/articleshow/7548222.cms)
HOUSTON: Lawyers for a group of Indian guest workers, trafficked to the US from India to work in shipyards after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, have sued an American company, Signal International, along with its co-conspirators and other entities for human trafficking and racketeering.
If class status is granted, the lawsuit could be the largest human trafficking case in US history, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has said in a statement.
Workers were allegedly lured here with dishonest assurances of becoming lawful permanent US residents, the statement said.
The ACLU joined a class action lawsuit brought on behalf of over 500 guest workers from India charging that the workers were trafficked into the US through the federal government's H-2B guest worker programme with dishonest assurances of becoming lawful permanent US residents and subjected to squalid living conditions, fraudulent payment practises, and threats of serious harm upon their arrival.
The complaint alleges that recruiting agents hired by the marine industry company Signal International held the guest workers' passports and visas, coerced them into paying extraordinary fees for recruitment, immigration processing and travel, and threatened the workers with serious legal and physical harm if they did not work under the Signal-restricted guest worker visa.
The complaint also alleges that once in the US, the men were required to live in Signal's guarded, over crowded labour camps, subjected to psychological abuse and defrauded out of adequate payment for their work.
The ACLU charges that the federal government has fallen short of its responsibility to protect the rights of guest workers in this country.
According to the lawsuit, the treatment of the workers violates the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (TVPA) and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations Act (RICO).
In addition to the federal court litigation, in partnership with the ACLU, the workers have testified before the UN special rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, the UN special rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, and senior staff at the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Signal, a marine and fabrication company with shipyards in Mississippi, Texas and Alabama, is a subcontractor for several major multinational companies.
HOUSTON: Lawyers for a group of Indian guest workers, trafficked to the US from India to work in shipyards after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, have sued an American company, Signal International, along with its co-conspirators and other entities for human trafficking and racketeering.
If class status is granted, the lawsuit could be the largest human trafficking case in US history, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has said in a statement.
Workers were allegedly lured here with dishonest assurances of becoming lawful permanent US residents, the statement said.
The ACLU joined a class action lawsuit brought on behalf of over 500 guest workers from India charging that the workers were trafficked into the US through the federal government's H-2B guest worker programme with dishonest assurances of becoming lawful permanent US residents and subjected to squalid living conditions, fraudulent payment practises, and threats of serious harm upon their arrival.
The complaint alleges that recruiting agents hired by the marine industry company Signal International held the guest workers' passports and visas, coerced them into paying extraordinary fees for recruitment, immigration processing and travel, and threatened the workers with serious legal and physical harm if they did not work under the Signal-restricted guest worker visa.
The complaint also alleges that once in the US, the men were required to live in Signal's guarded, over crowded labour camps, subjected to psychological abuse and defrauded out of adequate payment for their work.
The ACLU charges that the federal government has fallen short of its responsibility to protect the rights of guest workers in this country.
According to the lawsuit, the treatment of the workers violates the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (TVPA) and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations Act (RICO).
In addition to the federal court litigation, in partnership with the ACLU, the workers have testified before the UN special rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, the UN special rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, and senior staff at the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Signal, a marine and fabrication company with shipyards in Mississippi, Texas and Alabama, is a subcontractor for several major multinational companies.
wallpaper wallpaper Twilight#39;s

petepatel
09-01 01:01 AM
Matamoros, Mexico
Here is where me and wife got our H visas stamped
Also you may want to go through
www.mexico-assistance.com
Nice Service.
Here is where me and wife got our H visas stamped
Also you may want to go through
www.mexico-assistance.com
Nice Service.
chintainfogc
10-29 11:14 AM
Thank You guys for all your responses...i am planning to send the requested documents again.
Thanks
Chintainfogc
Thanks
Chintainfogc
2011 kristen stewart twilight prom.
p_aluri
07-24 03:13 PM
PD has nothing to do with EAD processing. They're not linked.
There is no Priority Date on my I-485 receipt notice. Is that a problem?
There is no Priority Date on my I-485 receipt notice. Is that a problem?
more...
anilkumar0902
08-15 12:52 AM
Thank you for the response dentist1.
I am not sure on how to interpret LUD, here is the summary
1. 485 received date Aug/1/2007, notice date Sep/27/2007 - for all three of us.
2. We applied for a change of address in May/2009 and received acknowledgement from USCIS in June/2009 - for all three of us.
3. My son's RFE response acknowledgement dated July/2009.
Please help me to figure out LUD for our applications.
Thanks
LUD : Last Update Date
It shows up while you check your case status. You can easily see all of them, if you sign up for case updates on the USCIS website..It is very easy to set-up as you can see for yourself.
Good luck for next month
Cheers
I am not sure on how to interpret LUD, here is the summary
1. 485 received date Aug/1/2007, notice date Sep/27/2007 - for all three of us.
2. We applied for a change of address in May/2009 and received acknowledgement from USCIS in June/2009 - for all three of us.
3. My son's RFE response acknowledgement dated July/2009.
Please help me to figure out LUD for our applications.
Thanks
LUD : Last Update Date
It shows up while you check your case status. You can easily see all of them, if you sign up for case updates on the USCIS website..It is very easy to set-up as you can see for yourself.
Good luck for next month
Cheers
microbe
February 17th, 2004, 11:35 PM
i'm no pro, but i think the first is much better then the second. the framing of the image is a bit off, but to me that's what makes the image.
more...
chirag1211
09-24 03:41 PM
Hi,
I am as well on the same boat. My H1 is getting expired on Sep 2010. My Company is ready to file a GC. But can't convince them to file in EB2 category. Also looking at the backlogs don't know if its the good time to start the GC process.
Can anyone put some light to this sitaution.
Thanks,
Chirag
I am as well on the same boat. My H1 is getting expired on Sep 2010. My Company is ready to file a GC. But can't convince them to file in EB2 category. Also looking at the backlogs don't know if its the good time to start the GC process.
Can anyone put some light to this sitaution.
Thanks,
Chirag
2010 pictures Kristen Stewart
rovingeye
07-26 02:28 PM
Hello Friends
My EB2 petition was filed in TSC in June 2009 and on July 20 2009 I received an email saying that " my approval notice was sent".Today the status changed to " Document mailed ON juLY 24 2009 " and also my previous eb1a denial in Feb 2009 got a soft LUD.
I am totally confused by this . Can some one offer their opinion on this strange development ?
Appreciate your help in advance
My EB2 petition was filed in TSC in June 2009 and on July 20 2009 I received an email saying that " my approval notice was sent".Today the status changed to " Document mailed ON juLY 24 2009 " and also my previous eb1a denial in Feb 2009 got a soft LUD.
I am totally confused by this . Can some one offer their opinion on this strange development ?
Appreciate your help in advance
more...
whattodo21
01-28 09:15 AM
If waiting for decades is not considered backlogged, don't know what it should be called!
hair Kristen Stewart Twilight Wallpaper
jijiewang
02-08 09:10 AM
Hi attorney,
I know the question sounds weird.
My husband applied EB2 in 2007. 140 approved and 485 pending. But then we came back to our home country because of layoff. We carried AP but now AP is expiring in 3 weeks. I know after AP goes expired, our 485 will be considered abandoned.
I heard that PD is still ours even in the case of abandonment of 485. So, I still hope that some day we can come back to US to re-do the green card application. My question is, once PD becomes current, how long will the window to submit 485 be open for us?
Thanks.
Jijie
I know the question sounds weird.
My husband applied EB2 in 2007. 140 approved and 485 pending. But then we came back to our home country because of layoff. We carried AP but now AP is expiring in 3 weeks. I know after AP goes expired, our 485 will be considered abandoned.
I heard that PD is still ours even in the case of abandonment of 485. So, I still hope that some day we can come back to US to re-do the green card application. My question is, once PD becomes current, how long will the window to submit 485 be open for us?
Thanks.
Jijie
more...
bestofall
03-14 08:57 PM
You deserve good Appreciation from rest of the members for taking the lead, I Wish you success
Go IV !
Go IV !
hot eclipse wallpaper twilight.
mattresscoil
12-09 11:02 AM
Hi everyone,
I applied for my I-131, I-765 and I-485 together under EB-2 category on the 13th of September 2010. I got approval letters for both I-131 and I-765 by the 9th of November 2010. My wife and I also received our EAD cards and travel documents. But today I got another set of receipts for both I-765 and I-131 with rfe for photographs. The receipts number are different in both the previous and new receipts and the new ones are showing up in pending state on the USCIS website.
Please let me know what can be the reason I got these duplicate receipts and what should be the next steps.
Thank you all in advance,
Bathuzp
Take Infopass and talk to them. In my opinion if you have approvals in your hand, they stand valid.
USCIS - Left hand does not know what right hand does and vice versa.
I understand your confusion, I hope you find a patient officer at your infopass appointment.
Question:
Did you apply for your EAD/AP yourself and did your lawyer(if you hired) also apply for EAD/AP. Check with your lawyer and employer too.
I applied for my I-131, I-765 and I-485 together under EB-2 category on the 13th of September 2010. I got approval letters for both I-131 and I-765 by the 9th of November 2010. My wife and I also received our EAD cards and travel documents. But today I got another set of receipts for both I-765 and I-131 with rfe for photographs. The receipts number are different in both the previous and new receipts and the new ones are showing up in pending state on the USCIS website.
Please let me know what can be the reason I got these duplicate receipts and what should be the next steps.
Thank you all in advance,
Bathuzp
Take Infopass and talk to them. In my opinion if you have approvals in your hand, they stand valid.
USCIS - Left hand does not know what right hand does and vice versa.
I understand your confusion, I hope you find a patient officer at your infopass appointment.
Question:
Did you apply for your EAD/AP yourself and did your lawyer(if you hired) also apply for EAD/AP. Check with your lawyer and employer too.
more...
house wallpaper Kristen Stewart
frostrated
08-11 02:24 PM
My friend will come from India on H1B first time to Atlanta Air port this weekend. His H1B was approved for year 2008 and his stamping was done in early 2009. His H1B is from small desi consulting company. What kind of questions he may face? Any inputs will highly appreciated.
One of the most common questions for situation your friend is in is why he waited this long to come to the US after approval of H1B visa. Another question is to show proof of job availability. It is 2 years since a petition was applied for him and a year since he got his visa. Unless he has some very solid answers, there is a possibility that they might deny his entry.
If you say that another position has opened up for which he is coming, then the next question would be if a new LCA was applied for the new position, which would then open up a totally new ball game. I would suggest that you have your friend contact his company lawyer for suggetions, rather than listen to advice given by people here who have not been in such situations.
One of the most common questions for situation your friend is in is why he waited this long to come to the US after approval of H1B visa. Another question is to show proof of job availability. It is 2 years since a petition was applied for him and a year since he got his visa. Unless he has some very solid answers, there is a possibility that they might deny his entry.
If you say that another position has opened up for which he is coming, then the next question would be if a new LCA was applied for the new position, which would then open up a totally new ball game. I would suggest that you have your friend contact his company lawyer for suggetions, rather than listen to advice given by people here who have not been in such situations.
tattoo wallpaper Kristen Stewart
indianabacklog
09-26 04:02 PM
Does anybody know what the fees are for filing EAD (yearly) extensions if you filed for EAD, 485 before August 17.
Thanks,
$340.
It is listed on the USCIS website beside the link for the I765 form.
Thanks,
$340.
It is listed on the USCIS website beside the link for the I765 form.
more...
pictures wallpaper star Kristen Stewart
anyluck?
06-18 12:58 AM
Hi
My wife is on H4 visa.She got an offer from Non profit organization and they are ready to do H1B.As it is Non profit Organization is that correct she can start working as soon as H1B is approved.
Is it possible to Transfer H1b in future to regular company if H1B quota exists.
Are there any restrictions involved.
Can any one please shed some light for me.
Thanks
My wife is on H4 visa.She got an offer from Non profit organization and they are ready to do H1B.As it is Non profit Organization is that correct she can start working as soon as H1B is approved.
Is it possible to Transfer H1b in future to regular company if H1B quota exists.
Are there any restrictions involved.
Can any one please shed some light for me.
Thanks
dresses wallpaper Kristen Stewart
gc_dedo
03-28 07:17 PM
Eb3
more...
makeup Kristen Stewart - 6 iPhone
TheCanadian
11-01 12:09 AM
You've met him? Did he design these logos? And who can't bite through someone's jugular? All of these questions must be answered before development of the Corn-on-the-Cob Book Pro and iPineapple can continue.
girlfriend wallpaper kristen stewart and
roseball
10-18 12:34 PM
a) Can I move to a different company now? Since my H1 extension is based on I-140 approval, I am not sure if this can be used to transfer to new company.
Yes, you can find another employer willing to hire you and sponsor your H1. Since you have an approved I-140, your new employer can use a copy of your I-140 approval notice and get a fresh 3 yr H1 extension
b) When I do a H1 transfer now, Will I get my H1 date till Apr 2012 as per my current H1 approval notice or just for the few more months I had on my original H1B?
You will get a 3 yr H1 extension
c) What will happen to my labor and I-140 after my H1 transfer? My labor was originally applied in EB3 category. Can I file a new one in EB2 category after transferring to the new company?
You cannot directly file your I-485 when your PD is current if you change employers. Your new employer has to start the process all over again from scratch (in any category depending on your job requirement). New employer will have to file PERM/I-140 but can use your old EB-3 PD from the I-140 approval to file I-485.
Yes, you can find another employer willing to hire you and sponsor your H1. Since you have an approved I-140, your new employer can use a copy of your I-140 approval notice and get a fresh 3 yr H1 extension
b) When I do a H1 transfer now, Will I get my H1 date till Apr 2012 as per my current H1 approval notice or just for the few more months I had on my original H1B?
You will get a 3 yr H1 extension
c) What will happen to my labor and I-140 after my H1 transfer? My labor was originally applied in EB3 category. Can I file a new one in EB2 category after transferring to the new company?
You cannot directly file your I-485 when your PD is current if you change employers. Your new employer has to start the process all over again from scratch (in any category depending on your job requirement). New employer will have to file PERM/I-140 but can use your old EB-3 PD from the I-140 approval to file I-485.
hairstyles Kristen Stewart Wallpaper
uma001
04-14 03:04 PM
I am currently on H1B, and my current company is not willing to sponsor me for GC. I am in my 5th year. I have found another company who has agreed to hire me and start my gc process, however, I am in a fix. This new offer is in CA and I am currently in NJ (+ my family)
I don't want to take this option unless it is absolutely necessary. My spouse, has the I-140 approved and not yet filed I-485. PD is Jan 04, EB3.
What are my options?
How many months left for you in fifth year? You need atleast 6 months to join another company so that they can do all the necessary steps in those 6 mnths before they file PERM. Are you trying to transfer to consultancy or full time employer?
I don't want to take this option unless it is absolutely necessary. My spouse, has the I-140 approved and not yet filed I-485. PD is Jan 04, EB3.
What are my options?
How many months left for you in fifth year? You need atleast 6 months to join another company so that they can do all the necessary steps in those 6 mnths before they file PERM. Are you trying to transfer to consultancy or full time employer?
mchhokar
05-17 12:27 PM
hey thanks!! Yet to see the copy of denial notice..does anyone knows whether appeal process entitles you to stay legally in US untill the final verdict?? I read somewhere that if your I94 /visa is expired , then the appeal period is illegal!!
bkarnik
11-07 11:57 AM
Any members in Iowa, please post here.
No comments:
Post a Comment